Certificate fraud: UNICAL Law Professor demoted to graduate assistant

Certificate fraud: UNICAL Law Professor demoted to graduate assistant
Rev. Prof Uhuka
Certificate fraud: UNICAL Law Professor demoted to graduate assistant
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

A Professor of Law at the University of Calabar, Cross River State, Rev Prof. Emeka Uhuka has been demoted from the rank of a professor to the position of graduate assistant.

Uhuka’s demotion followed the recommendation of a committee set up by the school; Academic Fraud Investigation Committee (AFIC) which recommended that the law lecturer be demoted with immediate effect.

Also another lecturer of the university that has come under the school’s swinging Sword of Damocles is Prof. Israel Worugji, a Professor of Law whose job is on the line over the questionable certificates he parades.

According to sources within the university, Worugji, faced with the imminent unpalatable recommendation of the AFIC, is lobbying members of the committee to give him a soft landing and save him from the humiliation which may follow their recommendation.

Education Tell gathered that some of the “sins” of Rev. Prof Uhuka which nailed his demotion coffin was that the committee found among others that;

The lecturer did not have a first degree from the University of Abuja as he claimed, but from the British America University; he was not called to the Nigerian Bar or any other Bar around the globe; holds a questionable Masters of Law (LL.M) degree as the LL.M degree was obtained barely 2 weeks after obtaining his first degree and that Uhuka has no Ph.D degree but records show that he is a doctoral candidate.

Other indictments include that Rev. Prof Uhuka has zero University teaching experience; has no evidence of Publication amongst others hence the recommendation for his demotion from the rank of a Professor of Law to the rank of a Graduate Assistant.

READ  Killer of Ondo ex-deputy gov’s daughter, to die by hanging

The professor was said to have claimed from his CV that he obtained a diploma in 1980 and WAEC in 1989, an obvious mix up.

The sources claimed that Rev. Uhuka has since absconded the university community due to fears of being handed over to the Police or ICPC for further investigation.

Similarly, Professor Worugji whose case has not been concluded by the committee is said to have refused to submit the original of his certificates including his Ph.D degree in Law certificate to the committee.

He is also said to have written to the University of Ibadan for correction of his Ph.D certificate which was obtained in May 2010. It is gathered that as at 2010 when Prof Worugji obtained his Ph.D certificate which reads “Doctor of Philosophy in the Faculty of Arts”, he was informed by the then Registrar of the University of Calabar that he was not eligible for promotion to the rank of a Professor of Law because he had not “obtained a Ph.D in Law degree”.

Members of the Ivory Tower are still in bewilderment on how he wangled his way and got his promotion to the rank of an Associate Professor in 2006 without a Ph.D degree.

It was further learnt that Nine years after being told that he had not obtained a Ph.D degree in Law, Prof. Worugji has started the process of having his Ph.D certificate corrected to read his area of specialization “African Law”.

READ  Police in manhunt for landlady’s son over brutal rape of girl, 5

It is instructive to note that African Law is not a program of study, but an area of Specialization in the academic program of Core African Studies, while a postgraduate programme in law (LLM, MPhil & Ph.D) under the NUC minimum standard for PG programme in Nigerian universities is required to be domiciled in the Faculty of Law.

Prof. Worugji clearly holds a Ph.D from the institute of African studies in the Faculty of Art, University of Ibadan as African Law is just one of the areas of specialization but has no Law degree from any university in Nigeria or outside the country.

It is alleged that Worugji’s West African School Certificate (WASC) result is not his own, but belongs to a relative, which is said to explain his numerous change of name.

Meanwhile, the authorities of University of Calabar have issued a stringent warning to the professor to cooperate with the committee or face severe disciplinary actions.

The warning was contained in a letter signed by the school’s Registrar, Mr. Moses Abang. Both professors Uhuka and Worugji were on February 27, notified that they would face the university panel on the 13th and 14th March respectively. The panel’s finding resulted in the demotion of Uhuka.

Comment With Facebook
Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.

Tags

You may also like...

10 thoughts on “Certificate fraud: UNICAL Law Professor demoted to graduate assistant”

1. Ephraim says:

Interesting!

2. Osato Aghimien says:

Reminds me of Prof Pruitt, in my days at Unical. He was dismissed for plagiarized doctoral dissertation.

3. Ibrahim Jibrin says:

A professor of Law?how?A clique is certainly promoting this!

4. Etta Bassey says:

This is share with everyone that I have spoken to Prof. Worugji and he has this to say…”Thank you for the concern. I am sorry for whatever embarrassment the anonymous and vexatious publications are causing to some of you…For the avoidance of doubt, I attended the Baptist High School, Port Harcourt where I had the WASC with a grade 1 in 1975. Went to England in 1977 on the State Scholarship for HND in Business Studies at the Stockport College and completed the programme in 1979. I immediately proceeded the the Manchester Polytechnic for the degree course in Law. The Law is a three year course(1979-1982). I graduated with a second class honours( 2:2) BA(Hons) Law. The Polytechnic later became the Manchester Metropolitan University.
    Thereafter I went to the University of Essex for the Master of Laws (LLM). This was 1982/1983 academic session. I completed the programme on the record time in 1983 and the degree was conferred on me during the 1984 Convocation Ceremony as the University practice. I called to the Nigerian Bar in 1984 after completion of the one year course of study in the Nigerian Law School. It is a fact that I changed my name. I was formerly UCHENDU Israel Nsitelem Emenike now WORUGJI Israel Nsitelem Eme. The change of name is legitimate but my detractors are not comfortable with my choice of change of name. I engaged briefly in legal practice in Port Harcourt before leaving to be a Law Teacher at the University of Calabar in December 1988. I rose through the ranks and became a Professor of Law in 2010 after obtaining Doctor of Philosophy( PhD) degree in African Law from the University of Ibadan in 2010. All my promotions passed through the University due process.
    My publications were assessed following the University procedure and found relevant to my scholarship. I was a Head of Department for 4 years and acting Dean of Law for 3 years covering 7 years in active management of the Faculty of Law. I was also a member of the University Governing Council for 4 years.The University never at stage doubted my qualifications and scholarship.I never at any stage influenced or interfered with the process. I don’t know what my detractors are afraid of, to be busy writing anonymous and frivolous petitions to the University authority on daily basis and publishing senseless things on the social media about. It is quite a pity that this level of senseless and ignorance can be exhibited by persons who claim to be in academics.All must be well.

As you can see my academic qualifications are clear. BA(Hons) Law, Master of Laws( LLM), BL for the Nigerian Bar, Doctor of Philosophy PhD in African Law. But the distractors are not telling the world that the institutions where I obtained my certificates have disclaimed me in any way nor are my qualifications not relevant to my scholarship as a Law Professor. All they say is Worugji is very powerful and influential. He intimates the University authority for reasons best known to them.”

From Prof Worugji,Israel NE.
    Faculty of Law,University of Calabar.

My name is (Barr) Bassey Etta and I am an Alumni of the faculty of law Unical, I was never close to him while in school but reading through this blog I knew it was all fake news and the handiwork of that Prof. Ndifon and his cohorts (the unpopular rapist)…If not I dare them to show proof that there has been a report from management of the university of calabar to coroborate this story….we are in the era of fake news especially where it emanates from no known source but from a blog. This is a blogspot and not a national newspaper, I dare the writers to publish same on a national newspaper if the story is true.

5. dan says:

People should be careful!!!! God cannot be mocked

6. Davola says:

Confusion break body. The University Authority should make official contacts to the schools claimed to establish the truth

7. Sunny Iboloku says:

My able Prof please do all you can to save your name and integrity. I appreciate the impact you made in my life as a Lawyer.

8. Med says:

First off, back(Hons) law, unlike llb is not a qualifying law degree. If you wish to be a barrister or solicitor, in England you will need to have a graduate diploma in law(Gdl).This prof didn’t have that,he was admitted to law school probably in error, you can’t build something on nothing.
    Those of you singing his praises, are proceeding in error.

9. Med says:

First off, Ba (Hons) law, unlike llb is not a qualifying law degree. If you wish to be a barrister or solicitor, in England you will need to have a graduate diploma in law(Gdl).This prof didn’t have that,he was admitted to law school probably in error, you can’t build something on nothing.
    Those of you singing his praises, are proceeding in error.