As part of measures to curtail the COVID-19 pandemic, the Namibian government has banned purchase of new cars for government officials till 2025.
Namibia’s President Hage Geingob who made this known on Twitter on Thursday, also placed a cap on monthly fuel consumption by public office holders.
Geingob said the decision would save the country 200 million Namibian dollars (US$10.7 million), which, he said, will be directed “to urgent priorities, specifically at a time when the country is dealing with the health and economic implications of COVID-19″.
The statement read in parts;
“Government will not order a new vehicle fleet for the Executive and Public Office Bearers for the period 2020-2025.
“Savings of 200 million Namibia dollars (about $10.8 million) will be directed to urgent priority areas.”
The southern African country with a population of 2.5 million people has so far recorded 16 cases of COVID-19, with no deaths.
Namibian ministers and their deputies each qualify for Mercedes-Benz vehicles upon their appointment. In 2002, then-president Sam Nujoma had banned the use of Mercedes-Benz, insisting that ministers should ride in Toyota Camry cars.