The Government Girls Secondary School, Independence Way, Kaduna, has come out tops in the Diamond Challenge National Pitch Competition for High School Entrepreneurs.
The Diamond Challenge is an innovative entrepreneurship competition for secondary schools across the globe.
The school’s team in the competition presented a Fashion Design Business concept tagged “New Era Fashion World’’ and had Maimunatu Isah as its team leader.
Initiator of the House of Diamond Community Initiative, Lucy Johnson, said the national winner will represent Nigeria in the U.S for the finals.
“The winners will go for a three day summit in the U.S to compete with other teams from countries across the globe.
“The first place gets $11,000 for the team and $3,500 for each member; second place gets $7,500 and $1,500 for each member of the team while the third place gets $3,500 for the team and $750 per member.
“We are hopeful that we will win something because we have a fantastic business concept,” Isah said.
Earlier, the Kaduna State Commissioner for Education, Ja’afar Ibrahim, represented by Hadiza Abdulkarim, said the state government will support the winner and make sure they succeed in the subsequent event.
He added that the state had already made provisions for students to learn a skill by introducing entrepreneurship subjects to secondary schools curriculum.
He commended the organisers of the competition, saying it would help support and guide learners on how to enhance their skills.
Also, Deputy Director, Girl Child Education in the state Ministry of Education, Elizabeth Fatima-David, Science and Technology said the challenge was introduced to the ministry last year.
She said the initiative will motivate teenagers to bring up business concepts that will make them self-reliant and productive.
The event was organised by Diamond House of Initiative in collaboration with the University of Delaware and Kaduna State Government.
- Women protest naked on street of Nasarawa over 2023 election rigging
- FG approves N454bn for Kano-Niger Republic rail
- Our observers witnessed vote buying, voter intimidation, violence during Nigerian elections- UK
- Tinubu jets out for first medical vacation after presidential election
- Gunmen kill Ogun former perm sec, wife in Lagos
- Court dismisses Abba Kyari’s plea seeking to void charge against him
- Protesters storm national assembly, demand annulment of presidential election
- IGP hails police performance in governorship election