Foreign

One-year-old girl dies after swallowing remote control battery

One-year-old girl dies after swallowing remote control battery

 

A one year old girl, Reese Smith has died after she swallowed a tiny button battery which generated electricity inside her causing terrible internal burns to some of her organs.

Little Reese, reportedly died last Thursday, Dec 17, weeks after swallowing the button battery taken from a remote control at her home in Lubbock, Texas.

She was said to have suffered severe burns to her throat, oesophagus and vocal cords.

Pediatrician who treated Reese, Dr Thomas McGill, said the youngster’s mucus membrane had been burned “completely black, as if you were roasting a marshmallow.”

The pediatrician, who treated Reese at University Medical Center in Lubbock, disclosed that one side of the flat battery has a positive charge, while the other has a negative charge. So, the battery began to generate electricity after settling in the child’s oesophagus, before eroding through the oesophagus and settling in her airway.

The sad incident broke when Reese’s mother, Trista, a hairdresser, noticed her daughter could not stop coughing last month, and feared she may have swallowed the battery after noticing a remote whose back had been taken off.

Reese was rushed to hospital, where an x-ray confirmed her mother’s worst fears.

The infant was later transferred to Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston where she underwent multiple surgeries to remove the battery and try to repair the damage to her insides.

Despite surgeons’ best efforts to save Reese, unfortunately, the toddler died from her injuries.

The doctors explained that the battery had been inside the child for too long to save her.

Comment With Facebook

Comment here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.