Unfolding reports on the attack of Borno State governor, Babagana Umara Zulum by suspected Boko Haram terrorists indicate that over 30 persons died from the attack.
Two security sources disclosed to the AFP that fatalities from the Friday attack in Borno state had doubled as more bodies were found and now included 12 policemen, five soldiers, four members of a government-backed militia and nine civilians.
“The tally has increased to 30 as many bodies were picked in the surrounding areas after the attack, adding that “many people were injured,” one of the sources said.
Sources had earlier informed AFP that a convoy transporting Governor Zulum came under attack from terrorists on Friday near the town of Baga on the shores of Lake Chad.
Another security source collaborated the same death toll of 30 from the assault and said the militants seized eight vehicles.
“The terrorists made away with an armoured personnel carrier, a gun truck and six sports utility vehicles in the convoy,” the source said.
The Police high command has confirmed in a statement that the attack by terrorists on the governor’s “security convoy” had killed eight policemen and three government-backed militia members.
It said 13 other people had been wounded and the attack had been “successfully repelled”.
Zulum, who sources said, was unhurt in the attack, had flown to the area to prepare for the return of residents displaced from Baga by the conflict. He was driving in the convoy accompanied by government officials under tight security towards Baga ahead of the arrival of the returnees.
It would be recalled that in July Zulum’s convoy came under gun attack from ISWAP outside Baga, forcing him to cancel his trip to the town.
At the moment the Islamic terrorist group has not laid claims to the attack.